Want to work at Nutopia?
8 Jun 2020
Position: Executive Assistant to Jane Root CEO, Nutopia
Hours: Full-time position (Maternity cover – 12 months)
Reporting to: CEO
Start: August 2020
Company activity: Production of factual TV programmes for US, UK and international markets
Location: Central London (currently remote working until further notice)
Salary: Dependent on experience - please state your salary expectations and notice period (if applicable)
Nutopia is an award-winning independent production company based in central London, making premium television for the international television cable and SVOD networks and UK broadcasters. We are a company with a strong sense of community and the successful candidate will be joining a friendly and inclusive team with a real passion for what Nutopia does. The company has a high approval rating for satisfaction amongst its employees in a survey carried out with 87% saying they would recommend working here to a friend or colleague.
We specialise in making huge-scale history and science series designed to stand out from the crowd, although recently have been branching into new areas including feature docs and popular social history.
Recent broadcast successes include The World According to Jeff Goldblum, quirky host-led social history for Disney+; lavish drama-doc The Last Czars for Netflix, which vividly re-tells the story of the downfall of the Romanov dynasty; and epic One Strange Rock for National Geographic, natural history/science collaboration with director Darren Aronofsky, hosted by Will Smith.
Currently in production we’re working on Limitless with Chris Hemsworth and season 2 of One Strange Rock for National Geographic, season 2 of The World According to Jeff Goldblum for Disney+, and unannounced series for both History Channel and Amazon.
This is a varied, challenging role within a creative, fast-paced TV production company. Candidates will need to be confident, resilient, efficient, meticulous and thrive in a high-pressure environment.
The company is in a period of massive growth, so it’s an exciting moment to join.
The CEO is based in Washington DC and works remotely. The CEO requires regular travel to the London office to be organised (in usual circumstances) approximately every 6 weeks, alongside frequent LA and NYC trips. Travel to Europe also needs to be organised on occasion.
There is a unique challenge in working remotely in this way, and an understanding of management (and managing relationships) across different time zone regions is key.
You will be working UK hours (10am-6pm) however because of how this role is positioned, you will find on occasion that flexibility and engagement is necessary outside these hours.
The role works alongside and within a supportive, tight-knit Operations Team including the Head of Talent, Talent Coordinator, Development & Operations Manager, COO and the MD.
An important relationship to nurture will be with the Development Team as Jane has huge amounts of contact with them on a daily basis and you will too.
- Acting as the first point of contact for CEO to people inside and outside the organisation
- Organising meetings – juggling an extremely busy diary, coordinating internal and external appointments, conference calls, often liaising with multiple parties across 2-3 time zones
- Daily contact with Ops staff and senior management to ensure smooth running of the office and productions at the highest level
- Day-to-day administrative support using Outlook, and basic IT support
- Substantial domestic and international travel – mainly NY, LA, London (including booking flights hotels, cars; organising visas; finding and booking venues for meetings, dinners etc)
- Producing documents, briefing papers, travel itineraries, meeting material
- Screening incoming correspondence including emails and telephone queries
- Attending weekly managerial meetings, taking minutes/action points distributing
- Reconciling floats, expense claims, credit cards
- Keeping CEO’s contacts meticulously up to date, plus additional files, systems and databases
- Significant personal management/support in CEO’s life day-to-day in order to facilitate working life. Including making personal appointments to fit alongside meetings, diarising and planning family commitments, liaising with property management agents, household expenses, family travel, and meticulous tracking deductible expenses for both UK & US tax return - general life admin
- Involvement in and awareness of company-wide marketing strategy liaising regularly with our UK and US publicists
- Maintaining a close and collegiate relationship with Nutopia’s US agents
- Work alongside Office Manager in organising company events
- Facilitate attendance and supply materials for industry events including festivals (e.g. Realscreen and Edinburgh TV Festival) and conferences
- Availability checks and contact with agents for senior talent
- Organising company strategy days and board meetings
- Occasional EA work for Executive Producers and Heads of Departments as they intersect with CEO’s activities
- Maintaining comms list and sending emails as Jane to announce key events or news
Required Skills & Experience
- Previous work in TV
- Extensive experience as a PA or EA to senior management
- Very organised, meticulous, excellent attention to detail
- Good Microsoft Office skills
- Proactive, enthusiastic, determined, driven
- Professional, friendly, empathetic, confident
- Ability to manage up, not only CEO but all senior management
- Articulate (both in person, over the phone and in writing)
- Strong sense of initiative, able to multi-task and anticipate needs of colleagues
- Flexibility and the ability to prioritise and make decisions under pressure
- Able to work with confidential material, understanding data protection, sense of discretion
- Able to represent the business at a corporate level
Nutopia recognises that our people are our greatest assets, as an equal opportunities employer we encourage and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds.
Please send your cover letter (with a note of salary expectations and notice period) and CV to [email protected]
For all press enquiries contact: [email protected]
Share this page: