We’re hiring! Could you be our next Head of Post Production?
11 Jan 2019
This is a full time permanent role, based in our London office. Please email Naoma at [email protected] with your CV and cover letter, a note of salary expectation (and notice period if applicable).
Nutopia is an award-winning independent production company based in central London, making premium television for the international television cable and SVOD networks and UK broadcasters. We are a company with a strong sense of community and the successful candidate will be joining a friendly and inclusive team with a real passion for what Nutopia does. The company has a high approval rating for satisfaction among its employees: in a survey carried out recently, 87% saying they would recommend working here to a friend or colleague.
We specialise in making huge-scale history and science series designed to stand out from the crowd, although recently have been branching into new areas including feature docs and popular social history. Recent credits include ‘One Strange Rock’ (10 x 1hr) for National Geographic; Civilizations (9 x 1hr) for the BBC/PBS; ‘The ‘80s and ‘90s Greatest’ (20 x 30min) for National Geographic; ‘The Great American Read’ (10 x 1hr) for PBS; and Beyond Reasonable Doubt (6 x 1hr) for CNN/HLN. In production right now are two series for Netflix, one for Amazon and a feature doc for HBO/Channel 4.
The Head of Post Production will be responsible for the day-to-day running and overall strategic development of the new in-house Post Production Department.
The successful candidate will liaise and negotiate with Nutopia’s production staff to schedule the existing 7 offline edit suites; further develop and expand the department; ensure that the department stays on the agreed-upon budget; communicate effectively with external suppliers and post production facilities; maintain the highest technical and creative standards.
This role would suit an experienced post producer/supervisor looking to step up.
- Building close working relationships with Nutopia production staff and the Head of Production, with involvement in new projects from the very earliest stages
- Setting up edit project/suites as required and maintenance of the edit servers
- Working with Producers/Editors using the edit suites to ensure smooth running of offline edits.
- Overseeing support contracts and suppliers
- Setting up/advising on appropriate post workflow and naming protocols for new productions.
- Generating internal quotes
- Liaising with accounts department regarding billing
- Maintaining and developing relationships with post production facilities for both offline, finishing and delivery
- Liaising with insurers and broadcasters to ensure that the company and productions are putting correct protocols in place
- Technical understanding of edit systems including Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro
- Scheduling and overseeing capacity of the post department and servers
- Scheduling, managing and hiring edit assistants working on ingest/machine room
- Arranging/managing storage and transfer of media/rushes on existing servers
- Data security and managing off-site storage of backed-up material
- Running departmental budget
- Keeping track of software licences, scheduling updates.
- Exploring the possibilities of developing the department and future-proofing systems
- Making recommendations for change, improvement, growth and efficiency of the department
- At least 5 yrs experience of post-production
- Deep working understanding of post-production process including tapeless workflow and delivery
- An understanding of Avid systems, transcoding, backup and ingestion
- Television production experience, ideally working with and delivering to US networks
- Experience of managing people
- Flexible, able to prioritise (and re-prioritise!), quick-thinking and calm under pressure
- Natural communicator, with a strong sense of diplomacy and an ability to think creatively
- Understanding of deliverables to variety of broadcasters and their systems for delivery
For all press enquiries contact: [email protected]
Share this page: